In my home we eat salads often so I try to make them as interesting as possible. This Roasted Eggplant Salad combines some favorite roasted vegetables, eggplant and corn with healthy lentils for a complete meal. The Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette incorporates the flavor of Indian spice from the cumin with a traditional vinaigrette recipe. I used lime juice instead of lemon since they are so commonly used in India. This salad can be served as an entrée for lunch as well as at dinner.
1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 ear corn
1 cup cooked red kidney beans
4 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup lime juice
1 pinch red chile flakes
1 tsp turbinado sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the eggplant pieces on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Drizzle with a bit of oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast the eggplant in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, turning the pieces over after 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
3. Roast or grill the corn until lightly charred. Let cool then cut the corn from the cob.
4. In a large bowl, add the eggplant, corn, kidney beans and sliced onions. Pour some of the vinaigrette over the ingredients and mix well. Let this sit for a few minutes. Add the spinach and cilantro to the bowl. Add more dressing, to taste, and mix gently. Transfer to individual bowls and serve immediately.
1. In a small dry skillet, roast the ground cumin and cumin seeds individually for a few minutes until the aroma rises. Set aside to cool.
2. Stir all of the vinaigrette ingredients except for the oil together in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until well mixed. Adjust the salt and pepper, to taste.
– Serve with crusty bread.
– Substitute chopped romaine or black beans for variety.